Chrome Guild - Draenor EU

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chrome Guild - Draenor EU

Chrome Guild - Draenor EU forums

Improving Framerates and Latency

Hartflower
    Hartflower

Improving Framerates and Latency Empty Improving Framerates and Latency

Post by Hartflower Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 am

Hiya,

I've not posted before so I thought I would see how this forum thingy works and post something I wrote before on my old guild website. I hope you find it useful.

The guy narrating is a bit dull but the information I thought was useful.

I am using the bat file using notepad that is explained in the video above

Name of file - WoW.bat

Content of file for those using Vista:

@echo off
    cd /d "C:UsersPublicGamesWorld of Warcraft" start /high wow.exe

Type that into your notepad, save as WoW.bat (change to all files) as explained in the video and place it in your WOW folder. I have it as a shortcut on my desktop and simply double-click it before i start playing.

and for those using Windows 7:

In the first video the person talking mentions a software called Game Booster. I just downloaded it and ran it and it seems to switch off all the unnecessary processes to optimize WoW. It will then switch them all back on again once you have finished.

I downloaded it from here:

http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18541_4-10913645.html

The link also includes a better explanation of the software than I gave above.

Hope it helps

Hart

Last edited by Hartflower on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    Hartflower
    Hartflower

Improving Framerates and Latency Empty Re: Improving Framerates and Latency

Post by Hartflower Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:52 am

Also, a posting originally written by a friend when I was based on EU-Azuremyst. Some of you geeky types might know what he is talking about and find it of interest Smile

Originally posted when I was on EU Azuremyst. If you know the Draenor IP address please add below

Optimise your latency, increase dps, get out of hazards fast and give your tank that heal before the next 40k blow.In addition make your fragile connection less prone to disconnects.

New Mac fix added at botton (orange text).

AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I have a dual box Linux and windows7 and while graphics in OpenGL suck compared to DirectX, at least in my box is half the fps, the latency i have under Linux is about 400% better than my originals win7. With the next few tricks i managed to get linux performance under win7. This works for xp and vista too.

If you don't care how it works pass the red text plix.

Azuremyst eu IP is 80.239.181.78. Ping is disabled by blizz but you can do a trace-route to it

Win Key+ R - type cmd -enter

type or cut and paste

tracert 80.239.181.78

Your latency should be the same or close to the one shown on last line. The error is normal due to the ping ban. why then you have a latency 2,3 or 4 times bigger than that?. Microsoft or OSX is sacrificing the latency needed for games that use TCP like wow, in favour of ordinary home or business networks where too many packets could congest the system. What they do is to group small packets into bigger ones to reduce traffic as most packets could send just 1 Byte of info but use many bytes for the protocols. In addition to make sure the packet reached its destination it needs to receive a confirmation or acknowledge packet in case it needs to be send again or to stop if waiting for too long.

All that is unnecessary for games that need to send the packets ASAP. Works like this

wow - send packet to you and waits for confirmation

you- received, wait for another packet

wow - waits for acknowledgement.

wow - long time waiting. lets send another.

you - ok received those packets send more.

wow - WTF ? kk sending another one

you -waiting...

If you add a fragile connection where some packets are lost on the way then all adds and wow may think you are no longer there and dc.

This fix is well known to any one who has googled for latency problems in wow.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

Download and run. easy as that, if it doesn't work you can uninstall with the same program. This alone cuts latency to 50% or less for most people(66%average according to feedback) and solves many disconnect problems.

If you are a ping elitist then you need to mess with the registry for a even better result. For me is another 50% cut but results maybe different for you. For me puts win7 at same level of linux.

Press the Windows key + R

type regedit and enter

File->export to do a back up just incase.

Then find:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-SOFTWARE-Microsoft-MSMQ-Parameters

Right-click in the right hand panel and add a new DWORD value, name it TCPNoDelay, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1(Hexadecimal radio button checked).

Click Ok and close the registry editor, then reboot your PC.

Other tips

Open your My Network Places(View network connections) or Control Panel ---> Network Connections. Right click your primary Network Card and click properties --- > Configure then advanced tab on top.

Checksum Offload ( RX or TX ) = Disabled

Optimize For = Throughput (if present).

Mac fix.

Tbh knowing some mac users I don't know why i'm bothering but for the sake of the guild raiding try it. got nothing to loose doing that. is just a command that can be easily reverted. In the wowinterface link above there is an explanation of how to do the ack fix in your mac manually. Thanks to the free software foundation of osx my linux knowledge comes handy and could save you some time by checking if you really need it.

Open a terminal and type or copy and paste

net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack

(need confirmation about this but you are not using "sudo" so no way is gonna harm your machine. Im pretty sure it works thou)

should give you a number(net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=?) , if is 0 you are alrite and can ignore all this, else type

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

This is confirmed to be right. ( checked other pages and use this too)

Run wow and see if your latency is better. This is a temporary fix that last until you restart your mac. If you want a permanent fix then follow the link above and read at the end. Is easy don't worry. If you see no difference and want to go back to normal and don't want to restart then use

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=1

I hope someone finds this useful.

Hart x

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:35 am